The Department of History is one of the first departments of Vallabh Govt. College Mandi which started in 1948.
The Department of History has a faculty that has vibrant, innovative and intellectual culture with an international academic exposure. Through innovative practices such as student seminars, conferences,academic trips, heritage walks etc. Our students are provided to be inquisitive of Indian civilizational values and passionate for its rich cultural heritage.The students are empowered to go beyond the conventional and simplistic reading of the past. We prioritize rich historiographical discussions on Indian nationalism,patriotism, communal politics, gender inequality, caste structure and varied social inequalities as well as issues in world history, so our students canlink the many histories with current socio-political trends. This helps them to question mainstream discourses and make bold observations.
Scopes of the Subject
As a history graduate one will have gained skills highly valued by employers such as analytical and critical reasoning, oral and written communication and research skills. A history degree is a good launch pad for a wide range of careers.
Objectives of our Department
- Basic understanding of History subject which will improve the knowledge of History.
· To increase interest of the Historical sites among the students.
- Applying various historical methods and theories in local history
- Applying the innovative study techniques to study of history, to make it value based and thought provocative.
- To increase the interest among students for local history.
Highlights of the Department
- Organized National seminar in 2021-22.
- Use Modern Teaching Aids:-Slid shows, Power Point presentation, Documentaries and Films on various topics, continuous evaluation of the students.
- Arrange Study tours to Historical places.
- Guidance to students for competitive exams and counselling.