Hospitality and Tourism
UGC Approved 3 years regular Degree Program COURSE OF STUDY
The college offers the following two ‘NSQF’ (National Skill Qualification Framework) complaint UGC approved 3-year regular degree program under semester system for vocational studies as mentioned below
- B. Voc. In retail management
- B. Voc. In hospitality & tourism
- To provide multiple entry and exit options as various levels through program design in conformation to the skill eco system.
- To create requisite job role specific skilled manpower for industry at Various NSQF levels as per NOS’S (National Occupational Standards).
- To empower the youth leading to employment and income generating opportunities.
- To provide judicious mix of skills relating to a profession and appropriate content of general education.
- To provide flexibility to the students by means of predefined entry and multiple exit levels.
- To integrate skill based NSQF complaint vocational studies with the undergraduate level of higher education in order to enhance employ ability of the graduates and meet the industry requirements. Such graduates apart from meeting the needs of local and national industry are also expected to be competent to become part of the global workforce.
B. Voc. Program is designed with the provision for multiple exit levels. All the candidates enrolled for diploma courses or further will be treated at part from the second semester onwards. Students may exit after six months with the certificate (NSQF LEVEL 4) or they may continue for diploma or advance diploma level courses leading to B. Voc. Degree. Following table provides a snapshot of the various certificates and their duration:
||Skill Component credits
||General Education Credits
||Total Credits for Awards
||B. Voc. Degree
MULTIPLE ENTRY AND EXIT OPTIONS :
- After the completion of semester I, the candidate will get a certificate, and she/he may go for a job of continue studying.
- The candidate may rejoin semester II. After the completion of semester II, the candidate will get a diploma, and she/he may go for a job or continue studying.
- The candidate may rejoin semester III. After the completion of semester III and IV, the candidate will get an Advanced Diploma. And she/he may go for a job or continue studying.
- The candidate may rejoin semester V. after the completion of semester V and VI, the candidate will be awarded a B. Voc. Degree, and she/he may go for a job or continue studying for the M. Voc. Degree (NSQF Level 8 onwards) and can register for Ph. D. degree (NSQF Level 10) after it in Vocational studies, or they can take admission in any competitive exams conducted by state admission in any competitive exams conducted by state Public Service Commission and Union Public Service Commission.
INTERNSHIIP PROGRAM :
- Internship for 6 weeks after the completion of each year is an integral/essential component of B. Voc. degree.
- The internship shall also carry credits to be added in the final evolution of skill components.
- HPKVN (Himachal Pradesh Kaushal Vikas Nigam) is fully sponsoring the internship apart from facilitating the skill components (60%) of the programs are entitled for ‘Kaushal Vikas Bhatta’ as per state government policy.
HOSPITALITY & TOURISM
- After the completion of the first semester, the students will get a “front office associate” certificate in the hospitality and tourism sector from tourism & hospitality skill council (THSC). The candidate may would as a certified resource in any hospitality and tourism related industry.
- After the completion of the second semester, the student will get a combined “front office executive “Diploma in the hospitality & tourism sector from tourism and Himachal Pradesh University. The candidate may get an opportunity to work in any hospitality and tourism related industry.
- After the completion of the second year, the candidate will get a combined “guest relation manager” advanced diploma in the hospitality & hospitality Skill council (THSC) and Himachal Pradesh University.
- The candidate may work as a skill resources in the related field as well as explore opportunities to become an entrepreneur.
- After the completion of the third year, the student will get a degree certificate from the Himachal Pradesh University. The candidate may become a “duty manager” in the hospitality and tourism related industries as well as explore opportunities to become an entrepreneur.
||Front office associate
||Front office executive
CONDITIONS FOR ADDMISSION
- Admission to the B Voc. Program will be as per the rules and regulations of the Himachal Pradesh University.
- The eligibility criteria for admission to be the B Voc. Degree program shall be 10+2 examination or an examination equivalent thereof from a Board/university established by law in India with English as a compulsory subject with 45% marks in aggregate, or any examination of University/Board/College or school in a foreign country recognized as equivalent for the above purpose by the vice chancellor/equivalence committee on its own, or on the recommendation of India universities with 45% marks or as per eligibility norms of the college for admission to undergraduate courses in case of center of excellence.
- Vocational subjects under NSQF will be given weight age, equivalent to any other general education subject while considering admission to students to the undergraduate courses as per reference no. |DD no__1-52/2013 (cc/NSQF) dated 30.04.2014 of UGC.
- Maximum age limit for admission to b. Voc. Courses is 23 years for general and 25 years for sc/st category and 25 years for girls candidates as on July 1 of the admission year. The vice chancellor may permit age relaxation as per norms.
- Reservation rules are applicable as per the rules or guidelines of the Himachal Pradesh Govt.
- Students belonging to sc/st category shall be given a 5% relaxation in marks for admission purpose that is they would require a minimum of 40% marks in aggregate at 10+2 level
- Compartment students shall not be allowed admission in the b. voc. Programs
- A candidate cannot pursue two full time undergraduate courses simultaneously.
- The university reserves the right to cancel any admission at any stage.
- In matters relaxing to undergraduate admissions, the decision of the admission committee/vice-chancellor, Himachal Pradesh University Shimla shall be final.
- All legal matters pertaining to undergraduate admission shall be subject to the Himachal Pradesh jurisdiction only.
MODEL OF SELECTION
- Admission to the b. voc. Program in retail management and hospitality & tourism (semester-I) shall be done purely on the merit in the qualifying examination (+2)
- There are three category of candidates who shall be given admission in semester I of the skill based courses under NSQF
Category 1 :
Student's who have already acquired NSQF certification level 4 in a particular industry sector may opt for admission in the skill based course under NSQF.
Category 2 :
Student's who have acquired NSQF certificate level 4 but may like to change their trade and enter into skill based courses in a different trade.
Category 3 : students who have passed the +2 examination with conventional schooling without any background of vocational training.
Note : Regarding selection of students for B Voc. Program, 10% extra weight age shall be given to category-1,5% extra weight age shall be given to category-2 in +2 examination. Final list of the students shall be finalized to merit.
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
- The course content of the B Voc. Program will be taught in English.